Presented by South Australia’s creative heart the Adelaide Festival Centre, the full program features over 450 artists from New York, Paris, London, Germany, Canada and Australia giving 178 performances of 68 different shows across 16 memorable nights.
“This year’s Cabaret Festival is guaranteed to warm your heart, challenge your mind and inspire your soul all in a fabulous fun cabaret atmosphere. Highlights include the legendary Michael Feinstein for one night only, one of New York’s hottest new singer/ pianists Tony DeSare, the acclaimed Caroline Nin (France) and West End royalty Jeremy Sams and Philip Quast,” says Julia Holt, Artistic Director Adelaide Cabaret Festival.
“The Adelaide Festival Centre expects over 45,000 devotees and fans of great art and entertainment through the doors this June. Adelaide Cabaret Festival Artistic Director Julia Holt has fashioned another stunning festival”, says Douglas Gautier, CEO & Artistic Director Adelaide Festival Centre.
Highlight’s of this year’s program include:
• Michael Feinstein (US) Sings Gershwin
• Jeremy Sams (UK) with special guests including Philip Quast (only Australian appearances)
• ABC Radio National: The Music Show: Live Broadcast from the Dunstan Playhouse
Classic Cabaret offers unique interpretations of the classics:
• Andy Seymour – The Gospel According to Elvis: The Next Chapter and Verse with the 10 voice “Tongues of Fire” Gospel Choir
• Adelaide Symphony Orchestra Plays Cabaret – The Music of Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra with conductor John Wilson (UK) and swing vocalist Gary Williams (UK)
• Isabelle Georges and Frédérik Steenbrink (France) – Une Étoile et Moi and À Judy Garland (Judy and Me) – (only Australian appearances)
• Janet Seidel Trio – DeLovely: The Songs of Cole Porter and We Get Requests
• Kim Spargo – Eva: The Music of Eva Cassidy,
• Licence to Thrill: The Scores of James Bond hosted by Alan Brough with Bondshells Kaye Tuckerman, Wendy Stapleton and Monique Montez and a fabulous 10 piece Cat Scratch Band (Premiere)
• Lil’ Fi & Margret RoadKnight – Tribute to the Blues Mamas
• Lisette & Her Faux Manouches – L’Amour or Less
• Peter Brocklehurst “ The Singing Cobbler” tells and sings his story
• Ruth Rogers-Wright and the Mark Fitzgibbons Trio – Fabulous Diva: A Tribute to the Music of Dr Nina Simone
Some of Australia’s most treasured cabaret artists will be celebrated in Cabaret Crème:
• Julie Anthony & Simon Gallaher – Together at Last in a special Sunday matinee performance
• Octogenarian and original soubrette Madam Pat Thompson & The Rag Tag Jazz Band show how it is done
• Paul Capsis – his voice has been described as “an act of God”
From kamikaze performance art to intimate conversations in Contemporary Cabaret with performances including:
• The Burlesque Hour Bravissima!
• Mantalk: Neil Thomas & David Well
• Meow Meow – Beyond Glamour: the Remix,
• Variété: A Homage to the Spiegeltent (Premiere)
The great German cabaret tradition continues in Deutsche Discourse:
• Caroline Nin (France) – Marlene (Premiere, only Australian appearances)
• Eva Meier (Germany) – Love, Loss and Laughter – music from Brecht and Eissler (Only Australian performances)
The seductiveness of songs in French in Enchanté Cabaret:
• Caroline Nin (France) – Hymne à Piaf
• Isabelle Georges & Frédérik Steenbrink (France) – I Wish You Love (Only Australian Appearances)
Talented songwriters and composers perform their own material In Their Own Words:
• Chris Wilson Plays Live at the Continental
• Dave Graney – Point Blank
• Gyan & Leunig – Billy the Rabbit
• Issa (formerly Jane Siberry) (Canada) (Only Australian performances)
• Jeanette Wormald – Songs of the Inland
• Mick Harvey
• Mikelangelo – The Nightingale of the Adriatic
• Ngapartji Ngapartji – indigenous story telling and language classes from the APY lands
• Paul Grabowsky Quintet – Tales of Time and Space - an instrumental homage to New York City
Nearly Ready! New shows in development
• The Beauty Spot by David Young
• Shane Warne: The Musical by Eddie Perfect
Interpretations of the Great American Songbook as well as original compositions by leading American cabaret performers in New York Series V:
• Maude Maggart: only Australian performances of the new darling of the NY cabaret scene
• Tony DeSare - with the 16 piece Cat Scratch band (only Australian performances)
Experience the ultimate cosy lounge room performances in The Salon Series:
• Christopher Green (UK) – My Life as Someone Else (Premiere)
• Libby O’Donovan – The Meredith Crocksley Project
• Moira Finucane & Fofi Christou – The Feast of Argentina Gina Catalina
• Tamarama Rock Surfers – A Porthole into the Minds of the Vanquished
Thought-provoking social and political satire will be on offer in the Sit Down Satire Series:
• Bob Downe – Live & Swingin’
• Phil Scott – My Long Awaited Comeback
• The Sista She Show
• The Soubrettes
• Tina C (UK) with special guest Auriel Andrew (AUS) – Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word, (Premiere, Only Australian performances)
• Vaudeville X
There is a unique opportunity to learn at the Masterclasses with Jeremy Sams (UK), Michael Feinstein (US) and Philip Quast (Australia) with tickets only $15.
The Festival continues its great FREE initiatives in 2007:
• The Kool Kat Festival Club is back with live bands, special guests and surprises. Free entry to the club if you’ve been to see a show earlier in the evening; show your ticket at the entrance to the Club and get in free (normally $10 entry or $35 season pass).
• In Conversation With… Artistic Director, Julia Holt will invite performers to join her on stage for a chat.
• Entrée Cabaret, some of South Australia’s most talented performers will whet your cabaret appetite in Lyrics Lounge.
• Look and Listen exhibitions and talks will enhance your festival experience.
The Adelaide Festival Centre presents
Adelaide Cabaret Festival 2007
Venue: Adelaide Festival Centre
Dates: 8 – 23 June 2007
Bookings: BASS 131 246 or online www.adelaidecabaretfestival.com
To receive your free Adelaide Cabaret Festival brochure:
Cabaret Hotline +61 8 8216 8901