The Sydney Opera House initiative, UnWrapped, is a bi-annual celebration of diverse, boundary-pushing works from some of Australia’s most admired independent contemporary performance-makers, selected from critically acclaimed debut seasons.
Originally launched in 2018 as part of the Sydney Opera House’s Artist and Sector Development initiative, the first UnWrapped season for 2020 features a series of exhilarating and daring performances from 11 February – 29 March 2020 with tickets from only $39.
The new season of UnWrapped includes:
- · The Sydney premiere of Dragon Ladies Don’t Weep (18 – 20 March) by Chamber Made, created by Singaporean and Australian artists and featuring world-renowned pianist and musical avant-garde icon, Margaret Len Tang. Direct from a world premiere season at AsiaTOPA, Dragon Ladies Don’t Weep creates an evocative portrait of this unique artist’s life, work and legacy through spoken word, recorded text, projected images and original music for piano, toy piano and percussion.
- · Me and My Mother, Singing (21 - 22 March), following an acclaimed debut season at Griffin Theatre Company’s 2019 Batch Festival. Written and performed by Yugoslavian-Australian artist Oleg Pupovac, the show explores identity, otherness and one man’s eternal search for the perfect painting of snow. Drawing inspiration from his own life and the countries he grew up in, Oleg uses storytelling, poetry and multimedia to tell this moving story in English, Serbo-Croatian and Arabic.
- · Jo Lloyd’s Overture (25 - 29 March), a one-act dance work about the unrequited, the unattainable and our attempts to connect with lost heroes we will never know. Winner of three Green Room Awards in 2018 (Best Dance Production, Ensemble Performance, Outstanding Choreography), the ensemble of four dancers’ playful performance is at once dynamic and irreverent.
- · Dragon Ladies Don’t Weep: 18 – 20 March, The Studio – from $39
- · Me and My Mother, Singing: 21 - 22 March, The Studio – from $39
- · Overture: 25 - 29 March, The Studio – from $39*
Tickets and information: https://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/general/arts-sector-development/unwrapped.html
Venue: Sydney Opera House
Bookings: 02 9250 7777