|Short+Sweet Sydney on the lookout for new festival director|
|Monday, 09 May 2011 11:42|
Short+Sweet, Australia’s own and the world’s biggest short theatre festival, is on the lookout for a new festival director for its key Sydney festival.
Having just completed its tenth anniversary season with a record 190 new works in two Sydney theatres, the festival - which now boasts national and international franchises in several forms - is set to chart a fresh new course.
The announcement follows the news that long time festival director Alex Broun is to step down from the helm of Short+Sweet Sydney.
Broun's association with Short+Sweet includes directing the last three highly successful Sydney festivals, and as well as running others in Melbourne, Brisbane, Rockhampton, Auckland, Singapore and last year’s first ever Short+Sweet Delhi in India.
According to Mark Cleary, Short+Sweet’s Artistic and Executive Director, Broun has been a driving force for Short+Sweet and responsible for introducing innovations including the time limit, awards, public voting and the developmental Wildcards program.
“Alex has also been a powerful advocate for artists and new writing and has left the Sydney festival on a very solid footing,” he said. “We look forward to welcoming a new Festival Director and the next exciting chapter in the continuing success of Short+Sweet Sydney.”
Broun will continue to run writing workshops and help develop the festivals in Australia and overseas.
“Short+Sweet Sydney is the largest ten minute theatre festival in the world and it’s been wonderful to be part of its ongoing growth over the last decade,” said Broun - who is currently in India running Short+Sweet writing workshops in Chennai, Mumbai and Delhi.
“Our 2011 Sydney festival was one of most successful festivals ever so it’s wonderful to go out on a high.”
Broun will work closely with the new Festival Director to assure a smooth transition in the running of the Festival and a high standard of experience for participants.